Has your genealogy research provided you with ancestors from Spain? If you have done extensive research then your answer is more than likely a yes. Have you also ever wondered if there are any lists of the people that left Spain for America? I had this same question and if your answer is yes then you will love this resource “Catálogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII”. Translated into English they are the Passenger Catalogs to the Indies during the XVI, XVII y XVIII Centuries. These catalogs are a genealogical treasure.
These Catalogs basically indexes of everyone that got registered to travel to the new world and are comprised of various volumes. Bellow you can see which book covers what dates in the first seven.
1. 1509-1534 — v. 2. 1535-1538 — v. 3. 1539-1559 — v. 4. 1560-1566 — v. 5. 1567-1577 — v. 6. 1578-1585 — v. 7. 1586-1599
Vol. 1-3 was copiled unde rthe direction of Cristóbal Bermúdez Plata; vol. 4-5 by Luis Romero Iruela y María del Carmen Galbis Díez; and vol. 6-7 by María del Carmen Galbis Díez.
There are more volumes covering up until the 1700’s but the above mentioned were the ones that i could find information for.
You can get Volumes 5 – 7 using the links bellow:
Volume 6 1578-1585 – Download
Volume 7 1586-1599 – Download
I talked a bit about this resource in an earlier post in our sister website We Are Cousins titled “Lists of Pasageros A Indias at Solo Genealogias“. In that website you can find passengers to the new world including Mexico covering the dates 1501 to 1538 which are covered in Volumes 1 and 2.
This catalogs are extremely important for Genealogical research. They will provide you with additional clues and you will have the exact data that some one traveled to Mexico or la Nueva Espana as it was know during this time period. Bellow is sample of what you can expect to find.
The above was listed under the year of 1567.
I have not been able to find any of the other catalogs available on PDF. If you know where they are let me know. On a final note check WorldCat.org to locate these catalogs in a library near you. I know you will have fun browsing these catalogs.
What Others are Reading NOW!
- How to Trace Your Family Tree in Mexico - December 13, 2017
- Records of the Order of Santiago, 1501-1799 - November 22, 2017
- New Spain & Mexico History Facebook Group - October 4, 2017
- Nobilario de los Reinos y Titulos de España - September 20, 2017
- Genealogical Resources to Help Discover Your Mexican Ancestry - September 13, 2017
- Genealogical Research in Medieval Asturias - September 6, 2017
- Learn to Read Spanish Documents from the 16th and 17th Centuries - May 17, 2017
- Listas de Pasajeros a Indias – Passenger Lists to the Indies - May 3, 2017
- Mexican Genealogy Group With Over 4,000 Members - April 26, 2017
- Mexican Genealogy Facebook Pages for Every State - March 22, 2017