The first known European to enter into the area now known as Nayarit was Francisco Cortés. He claimed the area for Spain as part of the colony of Nueva Galicia. The Spaniards invaded the area, led by Nuño de Guzman, but their brutality caused the indigenous inhabitants to revolt, in what was later was referred to as the Mixtón War. After almost two centuries of resistance the last independent Cora communities were forced into the colonial administration in 1722. This date was followed by intense missionary effort by the Jesuit friars.
The struggle for independence In Nayarit from Spain was initiated by the priest Jose Maria Mercado, who conquered Tepic and San Blas before being defeated and executed by Spanish royalists. The constitution of 1824 Nayarit was a part of Jalisco state. During the second half of the 19th century, Nayarit was one of the most turbulent territories in Mexico. The population was in open revolt, demanding access to land and was one of the last territories admitted as a state of the Mexican federation, which occurred on May 1, 1917.
You can expect to find records going all the way back up until 1596. I know this due to the research that I have done.
Catholic Church Records
- Catholic Church Records, 1596-1967 – (Browse Only)
- Mexico, Baptisms, 1560-1950 – (Search Only) Note: Not everything has been indexed.
- Mexico, Deaths, 1680-1940 – (Search Only) Note: Not everything has been indexed.
- Mexico, Marriages, 1570-1950 – (Search Only) Note: Not everything has been indexed.
Civil Registration Records
- Civil Registration, 1868-2001 – (Browse Only)
Facebook Pages or Groups
- Historia Regional Nayarit – This space was created to share the Nayarit regional history, promote research, conservation and promotion of cultural and historical heritage of all corners of our state.
- Apuntes de la Historia de Nayarit – The idea is to give a return to the events of the past, of what I have, I remember, and what I knew.
- Nayarit En Una Foto – Great Facebook page that contains many images of Nayarit. So you may get an idea of what your aancestorsmight have had experienced or seen.
History of Nayarit
- Nayarit – Wikipidia.com’s page about Nayarit
- History of Nayarit – History.com’s page on the history of Nayarit.
Information about Municipios of Nayarit
- 20 Municipios – Page that contains a map of Nayarit and all of it’s municipios.
- Municipalities of Nayarit – This website will let you make a downloadable map of Nayarit with all it’s municipalities.
Nayarit Genealogy Forums
- Gen Forum – Forum about Nayarit, you can respond or inquire by just registering.
- Nayarit Ancestry Forums – Forum about Nayarit hosted by Ancestry.com
Nayarit State and Church Archives
- Archivo Municipal de Tepic – The Municipal Archives of Tepic, is a Unit, whose primary function is to implement mechanisms to the conservation and control of documents, records, manuscripts, books, maps, plans, brochures, etc.
Websites Focusing on Nayarit Genealogy Research
- Guadalajara Dispensas – Here you will find entries to marriage dispensations for Nayarit. Just type your ancestors name in the search bar.
- Nuestros Ranchos – They focus in the states of Jalisco , Zacatecas, and Aguascalientes but there are hundreds of posts where Nayarit comes up.
I am fully aware that there are more resources out there but this is a start. As I come across more of them I will be posting them on this page. Also if your favorite resource is not mentioned here please send me an email I would love to include it.