This guide covers the dates 1606 to 1889 for the microfilm collection The Historical Archives of the Orzobispado of Durango. This guide basically is the index to a collection of over 730 rolls that are made available through a cooperative effort involving the Archdiocese of Durango, Mexico, the Universidad Juarez del Estado de Durango, the Instituto de Investigaciones Históricos de UJED, the Archivo Histórico del Estado de Durango and The NMSU Rio Grande Historical Collections.
Even-though this guide mentions Durango don’t be deceived since it contains records for what once used to be called La Nueva Vizcaya, which later on became durango. My point is that if you run across any ancestors listed as being from Nueva Vizcaya it won’t hurt to look for them here.
I came across this Guide while searching for my own ancestors whom at one point lived in Nueva Vizcaya but unfortunate they are not listed in this great resource. I hope that you do find it useful for your research. Once you open or download the guide you can use CTRL+F to search for keywords or names in the document.
Cover of Guide:
Click Image to View or Download the Guide
Contacting the New Mexico State University
If you find one of your ancestors in this guide you can always contact the university with the below link.
Download the Guide
Make sure to get your own copy of this guide. You never know ho long it will be available on the internet.
Let me know if you find any of your ancestors listed in this guide. Please leave me a message on the message section of this post and if you think this post will help someone please share it with them, thanks in advance.
What Others are Reading NOW!
- How to Trace Your Family Tree in Mexico - December 13, 2017
- Records of the Order of Santiago, 1501-1799 - November 22, 2017
- New Spain & Mexico History Facebook Group - October 4, 2017
- Nobilario de los Reinos y Titulos de España - September 20, 2017
- Genealogical Resources to Help Discover Your Mexican Ancestry - September 13, 2017
- Genealogical Research in Medieval Asturias - September 6, 2017
- Learn to Read Spanish Documents from the 16th and 17th Centuries - May 17, 2017
- Listas de Pasajeros a Indias – Passenger Lists to the Indies - May 3, 2017
- Mexican Genealogy Group With Over 4,000 Members - April 26, 2017
- Mexican Genealogy Facebook Pages for Every State - March 22, 2017