Here are the Genealogy Resources for San Luis Potosi, Mexico that I have come across that can be used for Mexican Genealogy Research. The birth of San Luis Potosi was started with the discovery of gold in 1592. The Spanish miners established the first town known which was known as “San Luis de Mezquitique” in the now modern location of the capital San Luis Potosí. Juan de Onate was the first mayor that was appointed.
The State was given the name “San Luis Rey”, King Saint Louis, in honor of Louis IX of France, and “Potosi” because the wealth of the state compared to the rich silver mines in Potosí, Bolivia. In the 17th and 18th centuries, Franciscans, Augustinians, and Jesuits arrived at the area and settled, then began to build churches and buildings, many of which are still standing and have been turned into museums and universities.
From what I have found out about my research you can expect to find records going all the way back up until 1586.
Catholic Church Records
- San Luis Potosí, Catholic Church Records, 1586-1977 – (Browse Only)
- Mexico, Baptisms, 1560-1950 – (Search Only) Note: Not everything has been indexed.
- Mexico, Deaths, 1680-1940 – (Search Only) Note: Not everything has been indexed.
- Mexico, Marriages, 1570-1950 – (Search Only) Note: Not everything has been indexed.
Civil Registration Records
- San Luis Potosí, Civil Registration, 1859-2000 – (Searchable)
Facebook Pages or Groups
- Have not found any
History of San Luis Potosi
- San Luis Potosi – Wikipidia.com’s page about San Luis Potosi
- History of San Luis Potosi – Ancestry.com page on San Luis Potosi History.
Information about Municipios of San Luis Potosi
- 58 Municipios – Page that contains a map of San Luis Potosi and all of its municipios.
- Municipalities of Nuevo Leon – Wikipedia containing all the municipios for San Luis Potosi
San Luis Potosi Genealogy Forums
- Gen Forum – Forum about San Luis Potosi, you can respond or inquire by just registering.
- San Luis Potosi Ancestry Forums – Forum about San Luis Potosi hosted by Ancestry.com
San Luis Potosi State and Church Archives
- San Luis Potosí, Miscellaneous Records, 1570-1882 – Miscellaneous records housed at the Archivo Histórico del Estado de San Luis Potosí. This collection includes records created by the following institutions: Alcaldía Mayor e Intendencia, Registro Público de la Propiedad y el Comercio, Ayuntamiento de San Luis Potosí, Alcaldía Mayor de Charcas, Notarías, etc. Additional images will be published as they become available.
- Archivo Historico de San Luis Potosi – State website where you can actually search through summaries of most documents held in their archives. I have found many ancestors there.
Websites Focusing on San Luis Potosi Genealogy Research
- I have not found any yet.
I am fully aware that there are more Genealogy Resources for San Luis Potosi but this is a start. As I come across more Genealogy Resources for San Luis Potosi I will be posting them on this page. Also if your favorite resource is not mentioned here please send me an email I would love to include it.