Tamaulipas, Mexico has been inhabited for more than 8000 years but when it comes to our genealogy research it is important to note that the first Spanish settlement was established in 1554 with Tampico. After that Spanish Franciscan missionaries helped establish ranching communities. It was not until 1746 that this area was incorporated as a separate Province of New Spain and was given the name of Nuevo Santander. In 1749 and latter Jose de Escandon founded Las Villas del Norte.
In 1824 after the War For Independence from Spain Tamaulipas was one of the 19 founding states of Mexico. It is important to note this information since now you know that most documents prior to 1746 are on archives outside of Tamaulipas. The exception is only those towns founded prior to this date.
Catholic Church Records
- Catholic Church Records, 1703-1964 – (Browse Only)
- Mexico, Baptisms, 1560-1950 – (Search Only) Note: Not everything has been indexed.
- Mexico, Deaths, 1680-1940 – (Search Only) Note: Not everything has been indexed.
- Mexico, Marriages, 1570-1950 – (Search Only) Note: Not everything has been indexed.
Civil Registration Records
- Civil Registration, 1800-2002 – (Browse Only)
- Consultar Acta de Nacimiento – (Search Only)
- Consultar acta de matrimonio – (Search Only)
- Order Birth or Marriage Record – Official Website to Order these Documents
Facebook Pages or Groups
- Historia y Genealogía de Reynosa AC – Facebook page dedicated to the Genealogy and History of Reynosa, Tamaulipas, Mexico
- Archivo General e Histórico del Estado de Tamaulipas – Facebook page of the General Archives of Tamaulipas, Mexico
- Historia De Río Bravo Tamaulipas – Facebook page dedicated to the history of Rio Bravo, Tamaulipas, Mexico
- Yo tambien soy de Arcabuz – Facebook group dedicated to people, history, and genealogy of Arcabuz, Tamaulipas, Mexico
History of Tamaulipas
- Tamaulipas – Wikipidiad.com’s page about Tamaulipas
- History of Tamaulipas – PDF document containing the History of Tamaulipas provided by the Government of the state.
Information about Municipios of Tamaulipas
- 43 Municipios – Page that contains a map of Tamaulipas and all of it’s municipios.
- Municipalities of Tamaulipas – Wikipidia contaning all the municipios for Tamaulipas
Tamaulipas Genealogy Forums
- Gen Forum – Forum about Tamaulipas, you can respond or inquire by just registering.
- We Are Cousins – Forum where you can ask anything about ancestors form Tamaulipas.
- Tamaulipas Ancestry Forums – Forum about Tamaulipas hosted by Ancestry.com
Tamaulipas State Archives
- Archivo General e Histórico del Estado de Tamaulipas (AGHET) – Blogspot blog, but seems to be abandoned.
Websites Focusing on Tamaulipas Genealogy Research
- Raul Longoria – This database contains hundreds if not thousands of names of people from Tamaulipas.
- We Are Cousins – Contains hundreds of names of people of Tamaulipas specially the municipios of Mier and Miguel Aleman.
- Los Vidaurri de Coahuila, Nuevo Leon, Tamaulipas y Texas ~ Vasquez Borrego –
Family history of Northern Mexico and South Texas’s first founding family (families).
I am fully aware that there are more resources out there but this is a start. As I come across more of them I will be posting them on this page. Also if your favorite resource is not mentioned here please send me an email I would love to include it.
Join Our Mailing List to Receive our “Meet Your Ancestors Series”